Friday, October 3, 2008

discharged: no babies

Well, for a little while today I thought Caleb would be entering the world today. To make a long story short and to spare some details, the doctor sent me to Labor and Delivery around 3:15 this afternoon because I thought my water had broken and that I had a slow leak (their words, not mine). I was at school when they told me to go on, so needless to say I was running around like a crazy person trying to divide up my kiddos to the other 1st grade teachers, get my things together and not totally scream and freak out!!! My mom came and picked me up (the school nurse wouldn't let me drive) and off we went. I was actually very calm and mom was freaking out. We got in the car and she asked me how to get to the hospital (it is literally around the corner). Then she laid a wheel pulling into the parking lot. Needless to say I was happy when the car was parked. :) Michael met us at the hospital, and when we got to L&D they took my blood pressure and it was very high, so they started taking it every 15 minutes and it eventually went back down to normal. They also hooked me up to 2 monitors - one to keep track of his heartbeat and the other was to track and measure my contractions. I was having contractions, many of which I didn't feel. It was cool to see that and listen to Caleb's heartbeat. They did a test to see if my water had broken and a non-stress test on the baby. Caleb passed his test. Me...not so much. After 2 1/2 hours, they came in and said that my water had not ruptured. They gave me instructions on what to look for, what to do when things start happening and sent me on my way. The papers they gave me when I left said...discharged: no babies. Lovely. Hopefully the next time we are at the hospital the papers will say discharged: 1 healthy baby boy. :)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a lousy way to end the afternoon--I got "discharged with no babies" twice when they kept sending me over there for my blood pressure...all of those monitors are fun to watch, aren't they? I can still hear the beeping sometimes when it's really quiet.... :-)

Julie said...

The same thing happened to me! They get your hopes up and then let you down...hang in there! He will be here soon!

Leslie Gilbreath said...

I was also discharged: no baby. So sad...these last weeks/days are the hardest!!! I remember with Melanie going to the doctor on my due date. They had told me that if I hadn't had her by my due date they would more than likely induce...I was all packed up, had my family on stand by and they checked me and said...NOPE! So, I just cried my whole drive to Partee thinking instead of going to have a baby I have to go to work...so sad! But, a baby is the end result to hang in there!